Monday, January 11, 2010

Sound Advice

We had a guest speaker at church yesterday and his sermon was on Titus 2. I'll go ahead and admit that I don't remember ever reading in the book of Titus before. Why? I have no idea. As Bro. Wesley pointed out yesterday, the book of Titus is where Paul is teaching us what God intends our responsibilities to be. It's so easy to say, "Well, I don't know what God wants me to do about XYZ, so I'll just do it my way instead." In Titus 2, Paul makes it very clear what God expects from us.

He expects men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, love, and in endurance. He expects women to be reverent in the way we live, not to be slanderers or drunks, and to teach what is good. Each generation of women is to teach the younger generations to love their husbands and children, be self-controlled and pure, to take care of their homes, to be kind, and to respect their husbands. The reasons that we are to do this is so we, as Christians, do not malign the word of God.

I'll ask you the same question that Bro. Wesley asked us - What could be sounder advice?

No comments: