Monday, January 25, 2010

Where is God?

How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
Psalm 13:1-4 (NIV )

Where is God? is Dr. John Townsend's attempt to answer the age-old question of how we look to God during our personal trials and pitfalls. Dr. Townsend relies on personal experience, years of Christian counseling, and scriptural reference to guide the reader through. While I understand his approach, I really think that this book misses the mark.

The Introduction started off strong and reeled me in quickly. Unfortunately, it set a high standard that the rest of the book was unable to meet. The first 9 chapters were based more on his personal and professional stories than on scriptural references and solid Biblical instruction. It is not until chapter 10 that Dr. Townsend really dug in and delivered his intended message.

It is a well thought out concept and the Introduction and last few chapters show the author's ability to convey the message, but the rest of the book really disappointed me.

*This is a compensated review.

No comments: